Monday, October 10, 2011

Boiler Up for St. Jude's!

Hey Boilermakers!
This past week was really busy and I was not able to do much for Letters from Home, but I was busy with registering and organizing things for St. Jude’s!  This upcoming week, will definitely be for Letters from Home as there is a meeting this upcoming Thursday and at some point, shopping for Halloween package supplies will be necessary. (Especially now that I have my car back!!)
One of the best parts of college life is football games!  Of course the best ones are home games; however, this weekend, while it’s an away game, there is a ton of room for fun!  This weekend, Tridelta will be hosting Game Day!  This is an event held at the Tridelt house!  There will be games, prizes, food, and entertainment, including Purdue’s away game on a projection screen!  All of the proceeds will go to benefit cancer research for children!  The tickets are 7.00 at the door, but if you buy them early from me, it’s only 5.00!  This is a great way to support our football team at Purdue and St. Jude’s Children’s Research Hospital!  I am logistics chair for the Game Day committee so I am obviously very excited about this philanthropy event.  I am responsible for making sure everything is in place and planning where everything will go.  This has been really fun, but really stressful.  I sat down with our philanthropy chair for an hour and had to plan out where everything would go, where we would put all the furniture, etc.  While that portion of my job is over until the day of the event when I have to set-up; I have been doing sponsorship as well.  I dropped off all those letters to businesses around campus.  Happily, we got a good response back and many of the businesses have agreed to donate.  Some have donated food and supplies (Thanks Hungry Boiler!!!), spirit gear, and some have gone as far as donating prizes for the games and raffles.  This is a huge help.  The less money we have to spend out of our budget, the more we have to work towards raising money for St. Jude!  Right now, the committees are currently on the hunt for people with tailgating games and footballs, etc.  We want to provide these things to participants during the day!  I am hopeful for a good turnout!
                I have also officially registered to volunteer at the St. Jude’s Walk in Carmel, Indiana on November 19th! I am very excited for this walk!  I have not figured out what I am going to be doing, but I am happy helping anywhere I am needed!! J
FTK,
Shannon

1 comment:

  1. What a great way to get some service hours done! I would love to be able to watch a football game, raise money for children, have fun AND earn credit for class all at the same time. Your responsibilities sound very stressful. I’m a horrible interior decorator/party planner and I would have an absolute nightmare trying to figure out where to put everything. The fact that you were able to garner so many donations for your cause is great and shows a real faith in the community. I’m glad that you were able to find so many people to help you out.
    As for the walk in Carmel, that also sounds like a lot of fun. Will you be doing the walk and volunteering with the people running it or are you just doing the walk? Either way it sounds really fun and rewarding. I hope you have a fun time at both your charity football event as well as your walk in Carmel.

    ReplyDelete