Wednesday, September 28, 2011

What a Busy, Service-Oriented, Wonderful Week!

Hi Everyone!
                This week, I have been doing several service-related tasks! My first task was calling the hospital.  This is my third follow-up with the hospital.  The person in charge of human resources said I should FOR SURE know something by next week!  She said that most of the spots in the pediatric ward are full now; however, she said there are still opportunities for the maternity ward! I am very excited to hopefully start my volunteer work at the hospital!! This will be wonderful experience for my pre-medicine major and will hopefully give me an educational advantage when applying for medical school over the next couple years! 
                Secondly, I have been working for philanthropy for Tridelta!  We have an upcoming philanthropy event that is new and hopefully will raise a ton of money for child cancer research!  I am in charge of the logistics of the event!  As part of my duties, I have to write sponsor letters and drop off these letters to potential donators.  This week I had to drop off six forms.  Writing the letter was fun because I got to talk about how much I love St. Jude and why the organization should want to sponsor the event.  Another of my duties comes tomorrow.  This will surely be more trying.  Tomorrow I have to map out the whole of the event.  The event will take place at the Tridelt house.  My co-chair and I have to determine where everyone will watch the game, where the snacks and food will be, where the games will be played, and where the halftime entertainment (a St. Jude family and possibly the Purdue Glee Club) will be hosted.  This will be trying because this is the first time the event will ever be set up.  The entire set up of the house will need to be changed to accommodate all of the plans and ideas hosted within this event.  I am working under a wonderful philanthropy chair and have a wonderful co-chair and I have no doubt that we will get through it.
                Finally, I have been working on planning October/Halloween packages for the troops, as well as meetings, and excess activities.  I have been very busy this past week and next week is looking to be the same way.  This has made everything very, very difficult to plan.  I am in love with my lily planner; I would honestly be lost without it!  I am very excited to announce that there should be 8-10 packages going out hopefully on the 18th of October and am even more excited to announce that the next meeting date will be on Oct.13 in BRNG 1230!  I am hoping attendance will be up as there is plenty of notice and I have a new public relations chair that will be planning the flyers and posting them throughout campus! 
I hope everyone is having a good week! I can’t wait for Friday!

Shannon

2 comments:

  1. So is your new philanthropy event letting people watch the Purdue football game in the Tri Delta house or are people playing board games? Regardless of what the even actually is you seem to be doing a really good job of organizing all the planning so I had no doubt that it will be an amazing event. It would be a really nice touch if you do get the Purdue Glee club to perform because they are so talented! A few of them sang for my Gamma Chi group so that they could use our ranking room for a photo shoot for Glee Club; they sang L-O-V-E a cappella while wearing Greece-inspired clothing. It was an awesome experience considering I had only been at Purdue for a little over a week at that point. Congratulations on putting together at least eight packages to send the troops; I’m sure the soldiers who receive them will be very grateful. Good luck getting more people to attend your meetings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK so just to start off with WOW!
    Before reading this I thought my life was busy and that I couldn't do more even if I wanted to. It's really cool that you give so much of your time and energy to all of those different service projects. The packages for troops overseas is a really cool idea. Regardless of our thoughts on the war, our troops still need all the support they can get, and sending goodie boxes would be a huge moral boost for any soldier missing home.
    I hope you got the position at the hospital and that by now you have already started there. It sounds like something you would really enjoy because you would be able to learn medicine and help people at the same time. With all of the amazing stuff you do for the community it seems like you would have a good chance of getting the position.

    ReplyDelete