Saturday, October 15, 2011

Philanthropic Endeavors

Hi Everyone!
Whew!  This week was so busy! 
I’ll start with today.  Today was Delta Delta Delta’s Game Day!  It was such a success! A lot of people from around campus came!  I was in charge of set up and clean up.  It was a lot of work, but I loved it.  As part of my job, I had to vacuum the carpets before and after, rearrange the furniture, put up decorations, and make sure everything was in order for our guests.  At half time a St. Jude family came and talked.  I spoke with the former patient for about 45 minutes.  I really clicked with her and enjoyed talking to her very much.  She had such a positive outlook on life.  The first words she said to me, as I extended my hand to shake hers, were “I spent two months in physical therapy to learn how to hug again. I only hug now.”  It was truly one of the best hugs I have ever gotten.  I am amazed at her courage and strength and cannot wait to do what those doctors did for her.  We raised a ton of money for St. Jude and I am super excited that we were able to start a Game Day tradition this year.  The service hours I put in didn’t even feel like service hours. (Pictures to come!)
Secondly, this week there was a Letters from Home meeting.  It went very well.  There were a lot of cards made for Halloween packages and I am truly excited to put the packages together in the upcoming days (probably this upcoming weekend).  I have spoken with my PR team again.  I really feel like they are not as into the organization as I am, and therefore hesitate to complete their job.  Its okay, but I just wish they cared about it as much as I do.  Hopefully, this situation will be corrected before the next meeting in November.  Another thing, I am trying to find a better way to open up meetings.  Right now, I feel like the meetings are not cohesive.  At the end, most people are talking and having a good time, but at the beginning, I feel it is awkward .  I am trying to devise a plan  to correct this for the next meeting next month as well.  Any Ideas?
I hope everyone’s week is not too busy! I know mine will be, but it’s For the Kids!

Shannon

2 comments:

  1. Being in charge of set up and clean up is always a rigorous task. It is always very time consuming and not necessarily always the easiest. However, I do not mind doing these chores! I grew up on a farm so I love physical labor and working with my hands. I find that tasks like these are always the easiest things to keep me occupied. They help me take my mind off of the stresses of a day or week and help me feel much better.
    Also, I think that moment that you had with the St. Jude patient was a very deep and personal experience. What she went through had to be so painful both physically and mentally, and to hear her say what she did about the hug would have really touched me if that situation were to happen to me. I think that what Delta Delta Delta did was such a great thing. Raising money for hospitals is always important because we need hospitals, and they clearly have a positive impact on so many people such as the patient that you met.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad that your Halloween packages for the troops are almost done. I sure they will enjoy them and hopefully they will get them in time for Halloween. That is really sad that your PR team is not as into the project as you are. I think that that happens a lot in leadership roles because everyone just wants the positions to put on their resumes. I hope that you can help them be more into the cause and want to do their tasks correctly. You could try to start your meetings with an ice breaker game to try to get over the awkwardness earlier. I am really glad that your Game Day was a huge success. I also hope that Tri Delta continues to this event that you started. The cancer survivor sounds so nice and like she would be an amazing person to meet. Good luck with your busy schedule and all your service work!

    ReplyDelete