Sunday, November 13, 2011

Pancakes, Syrup, and Orange Juice! Oh My!

Hey Everyone!
Wow! This week was so busy!  The first thing was a Letters from Home meeting.  The meeting went well, but the attendance was lower than normal.  We made Thanksgiving and Christmas cards.  This Thursday I was invited by College Mentors for Kids to do a small program.  It will be about 30-45 minutes of presentation and doing putting together packages.  I am going to have all the materials put together and the children will just have to put these things in the box and color a turkey or two!  There will be 15 kids, and five children per box.  I will then mail the packages this weekend, or the beginning of next week.  I hadn’t originally planned on doing any Thanksgiving packages, but given the circumstances, I felt this was a very good way to promote the club and also give the club positive publicity!  I will be going shopping on Wednesday and putting the materials together!  I am hoping I can talk for 30 minutes!
This Saturday is the St. Jude walk in Carmel, IN!  I am very excited to participate! I am unsure what I will be doing, but it will most likely be anything they need help with.  I am going with five other sisters!  We are going to spend some quality sister time and also help St. Jude!  I am really excited to spend time with them and to help St. Jude!  It’s bound to be really fun and rewarding.
Lastly, today was a very important day for me!  Today was FlapJack Attack!  We raised a lot of money and we had a ton of fun!  I earned 6 service hours today!  There was a comedy club that came, games like orange juice flippy cup, and maple syrup chug!  There were also representatives from different organizations like Southern Tide.  They gave out koozies and key chains and really helped support our cause!  There was a consistent flow of people always coming in through the door!  There were so many people; keeping up with pancake making was even difficult for three kitchens!  We made it through though!  The reason today was so special to me, is because today is the day I officially became philanthropy chair!  I received my binder and an official lists of to-do’s!  I am so very excited to begin planning future philanthropy events and to raise money for St. Jude!!  I’m so excited to be there for the kids!
Shannon

2 comments:

  1. Shannon,
    I think it’s really cool how service is a part of your life. You always seem to have things going on to help people. I know that I like help out people I know or people I’m around. I’ve had plenty of opportunities to help friends out with schoolwork in the past few months and such. I also really like it when a friend is moving or working on their house and I can help them out, but you seem to enjoy serving strangers.

    I think it’s cool how you take a bit of different practice and I’m kind of curious now. Do you enjoy serving people you don’t know because you find it pleasant? Or is it perhaps because you feel satisfied or content afterword? I’m not trying to put limits on you or miss interpret you. I’m just curious.

    P.S. pancakes sounds glorious right now. I’m so jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Luke,
    I am glad you have had time to help others! I try to keep as busy as possible with service related events! It really makes me feel better about myself to know that while I could have been watching TV or sleeping, I chose to make a difference in someone else’s life! I find it really enjoyable to help people I know, but I also find it enjoyable to help people I don’t know. I am a firm believer in the “pay it forward” theory. I like to help people I know and I do quite often, especially living with over 100 girls! I feel, however, that given the opportunity to serve others whom I may or may not know actually instills and inspires people to do the same. I feel like if I help one person who I don’t know, that person is going to be happier (hopefully) and therefore more gracious and happy to the people that surround them. If everyone did this, I don’t think there would be peace on earth, but I do think there would be less hurt and a lot more happiness! So, I find it enjoyable to help others to make myself feel better, but mostly to make a positive difference in peoples’ lives!
    PS. The pancakes were delicious! Next year you'll have to come to FlapJack Attack!

    ReplyDelete