Saturday, November 19, 2011

Lots of Spots for Little Tots!


Hi Everyone!
What a busy week!  As always, I have put in quite a few service hours both for St. Jude and Letters from Home!  The first event I had this week was on Thursday.  Thursday, I worked with College Mentors for Kids.  The kids were learning about what it means to volunteer (sounds familiar?).  I talked with them about what Letters from Home did and why they did it.  There were 8 kids and 10 mentors.  The kids put together three packages full of snacks and hygiene products and small gifts!  They are really great packages!  They also colored pictures of turkeys and wrote little messages on the bottom!  They really seemed to enjoy the coloring and really were quite entranced by all of the candy and snacks the troops were getting.  A package of gum and a small tin of Altoids went missing from a box and I’m pretty sure they just couldn’t help it :).  These are Thanksgiving packages.  Normally, the club doesn’t send out Thanksgiving packages, we just jump into Christmas.  Given the opportunity to teach these kids and offer publicity for the organization, we graciously agreed to send a few packages.  The packages will be mailed on Monday or Tuesday.  It’s unfortunate that the packages will be late. :/  I will just mail the Christmas ones out super early to make up for it! :)
For St. Jude this weekend, I organized and participated in Spots for Tots.  By organized, I mean I took my best guess at what should be going on!  Thankfully it wasn’t too hard and it was a success!  As my previous posts said, I was supposed to go to a St. Jude Walk and volunteer in Carmel.  Not many people were signed up to partake in Spots for Tots though, this is the last game, and this is a real money maker!  All the money made from selling parking spots in our parking lot goes to St. Jude!  The best thing is that this only cost 50 cents for a piece of poster board!  We made a ton of money for St. Jude!  I was upset about having to miss the walk, but my responsibilities as philanthropy chair to my house outranked my want to go help in other ways.  In an ideal world, I would have gone to both with plenty of time leftover for other things!  I’ll just write it down for next year and work extra hard then! 
The next event I’ll be organizing is Sleigh Bell Days!  This is not so much philanthropy as it is community service!  We invite children from the Lafayette/West Lafayette area over to Tridelta for a Christmas Party!! This was a lot of fun last year and I cannot wait to put the finishing touches on all of the plans!  This will definitely be a project for me to complete over Thanksgiving break and the beginning of that week! We are planning to do it during dead week! I can’t wait!  
For the Kids,
Shannon

2 comments:

  1. Looks like we’re not the only ones who are learning what it means to help out their community. I like the idea of your project, especially for kids. Putting together care boxes is something really easy that almost anyone can do. It would be a fun idea to get other people in the community involved with that organization. My boyfriend’s mom gives me Christmas care packages but they’re definitely not the same. Mine just has a bunch of chocolate and beauty supplies. Still fun though.

    I love that you’re doing so much work with children. They are the next generation and it’s nice that there are people like you teaching them about charity and doing good. I have to say, the Christmas party sounds like it’ll be a fun event to both plan and attend. Have fun and I hope you continue doing things like these even when our class is over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow you are doing so much when it comes to service work! It's great that the kids are learning early what it means to volunteer and just how important it is. I know from experience that I didn't have any exposure to volunteering until high school. This made me a little skeptical of it all but once I got started I loved it! So I'm glad these kids are getting started early.

    I'm not sure if you told me that you were philanthropic chair or not but that is so great! I know you guys do so much to help raise money and put together events for philanthropies and from what you've written it was obviously a success! Obviously you're going to keep up with your service and do a great job in the meantime! You really should be so proud of yourself for going above and beyond just the thirty hours that we had required for the course!

    ReplyDelete